For this felting piece, I decided to create a stand alone feline character. I began by twisting a skeleton from pipe-cleaners. Then I started building the core with excess black and brown wool.
At this point I went all in on the face, and roughed out the fur patterns. I wanted to mix smoky, natural fibers to give it an organic feeling. “This character will be a unique kitty.” I told myself.
Once I had worked out all the different areas of the feline, I realized this was one of the densest, yet lightest characters I had ever made. I concluded that because there was so much detailing on the entire character, it helped to give it a solidly constructed feeling. The stripes were lots of fun also.
Because the cat had such a wild look going, I wanted to photograph it in the elements. I was fortunate to have a warm, autumn evening available. I began seeing how I could use this character within my children’s stories. Be on the lookout for illustrations with this character in the future.
Thanks for the stop!